Thursday, February 4, 2010

A Disappearing 9-Patch


The DISAPPEARING 9-PATCH

One of my dear customers told me about this pattern and when I was snowed in for the second time within a month I decided to look it up. With a busy schedule and little ones always at my feet, I don't have a lot of time or space for quilting. That's why I love this pattern sew much! It can be sewn together in a weekend or just as easily packed and unpacked when your schedule gets in the way.

I used an assortment of 18"x22" fat quarters and was able to cut (16) 4 1/2" squares from each, but I was cutting right on the edge. That's why I decided it would be best to use 4" squares. This also makes a 10" finished block, which is a standard size. However, who's to say anyone has to conform to the standard. So, why not try using 5" charm squares for a more scrappy look.

Here is how I made this black, white and red version:



Here's What You'll Need:
6 Dark Fat Quarters
6 Light Fat Quarters
3/8 yd Contrast Fabric
1/2yd Inner Border
3/4yd Outer Border

*Do not prewash your fabric because this will cause excess shrinkage and fraying.

Cutting: Begin by cutting (16) 4 inch squares from each fat quarter. This will give you a total of 96 dark squares and 96 light squares. Next cut (24) 4 inch contrast squares.

The 9-Patch: Start sewing your squares together in the sequence: row 1: dark-light-dark, row 2: light-contrast-light, row 3: dark-light-dark. Make 24 blocks measuring 11 1/2 inches unfinished.

Disappearing 9-Patch: Cut your 9-patch blocks in half twice. Once vertically, once horizontally. Rotate the top right square 180 degrees. Rotate the bottom left square 180 degrees. Sew the 4 blocks back together. Your 24 blocks will now measure 10 1/2 inches unfinished.

Assemble The Blocks: Sew your 24 blocks into 6 rows, 4 blocks per each row. Sew the 6 rows together. Measure your
quilt top.

Adding Borders: For the 1 1/2 inch inner border, cut (6) 2" strips and sew them end-to-end until they are the correct length. First sew them to the sides and second to the top and bottom. For the 3 inch outer border cut (7) 3 1/2 inch strips. Repeat the steps above to attach the outer border.

That's it! You're ready to layer, quilt and bind! When you try this pattern, leave me a comment and tell me what you thought!

4 comments:

  1. I love it....definitely could make it very interesting....do u think u could do one more cut on the new square....more and more ideas...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooh, I like this! Thanks for sharing it!
    Sue Canute

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kimberly,
    I was looking for a great easy and fast black, white and red pattern to make my 10 yr. old grand dtr. who lives in Austin area. This looks like the perfect match. Thanks for sharing it.
    Debra Boring

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing. Looks like fun... if i ever get to it.Darcas Pena

    ReplyDelete